Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Open Source



Most of the software products that I use, whether it is for school or for personal use, have been open source. Some of this software includes Android, Firefox, Open Office, and VLC Media Player, which I recommend everyone to use. Open source is a modern and efficient ideology that allows developers to create and improve their work.

Open source can be either free access to a product’s design or free distribution of that design. Open source products can be improved by anyone. Our modern day society is now abundant with open source software products. Open source encourages people to use a product and change it to fit their needs. People like open source software because they can control the software they use, it benefits them as programmers, and it can be updated and fixed quickly.

The open source software that I like best and I feel is most beneficial is Git. Git is an open source version control system that allows people to share and exchange projects. It is free software and has a repository that shows complete history and tracking capabilities. Personally, I use Git for projects for work and school and I find it is a professional and organized way of sharing projects with others. It helps with team work and is quick, reliable, and hassle-free. Many companies use Git because of its free usage and I feel that students should practice using it in their school projects so that they are prepared to use it when they enter the high-tech industry.


You can download Git and access Git’s source code through their website, http://git-scm.com/. 


1 comment:

  1. From this blog, I learnt about what open source is and why people use it. I learnt about the version control system called Git and where it is generally used, for example, in large projects for tracking. There is a link provided to the Git website too. The blog lets the reader know about how beneficial it is to learn Git.
    I think you could have included information on how Git works. A basic overview of the Git GUI or the git pull/push commands, or on how the Git repository actually works would make the blog better.
    I think your blog is partly an opinion editorial and partly a technical blog. You have mentioned facts about open source software as well as included what software you like best among them.

    ReplyDelete